Wednesday, December 28, 2011

As the New Year Approaches so Do New Dreams

So, it's obvious to state that I haven't written in a while. In all actuality I haven't been doing a whole lot of anything these past few months. My crazy life has been boggled, and no that was not due to my college workload.

Lately, I've been going through a bit of an early life crisis. Possibly, this is due to the fact I will be turning the big 2-0 in a few short months. Either way the case, the last thing I've wanted to do is write. Granted, in the fall I took a creative writing class in attempts to regain my previous literary momentum. I wrote poems, started novels, and procrastinated on short stories. No matter how hard I tried I could not seem to garner the inspiration my soul craved. I did manage to win a weekly writing competition in my local newspaper with one of my poems but I didn't feel satisfied.

So, over Christmas break I decided to take a trip to Miami to stay with my older brother. I took this time to clear my mind and go looking for myself. Oh, and how I did look. In dark bars listening to cover bands. In high-end stores, where this dedicated vintage store shopper squandered away $200.00 on a pair of blue jelly Vivienne Westwood heels. Amongst detailed graffiti walls at crowded art walks in the Wynwood District. And lastly on the beach a mere seven blocks from my brother's apartment.

As I realized how close the new year was approaching I thought long and hard about how resolutions are put off until January 1st when they should start this very moment. I recounted moments passed, promises made, dreams envisioned, magical days, tearful goodbyes, and the number of times I've said "I wish I would have...." We spend our lives wishing and not doing what we set out to do. All we have left is a slew of days passed when we decided not to act on our dreams. That is why I am making my pre-New Year's resolution. Here's to my future, I vow that I will never again use the phrase, "I wish I would have..." I'm chosing to be progressive and take the challenge to keep up with my blogs, write as much (if not more) as I did before, and take on new, creative endevours including art, fashion, and music. It's time to take the challenge for their is no day but today. What do you want most this upcoming new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment