Monday, February 20, 2012

Crazy Little Thing Called Life

Much to my chagrin, it's been almost two months since I've posted. Being a college student is a whirlwind of crazy sometimes. Who am I kidding? Life is hectic 24/7 when you're pursuing higher education, yet it's bittersweet. This marks my last semester before I recieve my Associate in Arts degree. Hopefully within this time I will discover my purpose so I know which major I am going to pursue once I transfer schools. Also, to add to the load, I'm performing my dream role (aka: the role of a lifetime) as Tracy Turnblad in my college's production of Hairspray. Singer, dancer, actress, triple-threat leading lady? No pressure, right? So, as you can imagine this has given me very little, if not any, time to write. College student by day and musical theatre star by night, I have found it difficult to set time aside to let my writing juices flow. There are several writing contests that I'm aware of with upcoming deadlines which I hope to enter If I can find time. In spite of the crazy schedule, I have found a new form of inspiration when it comes to the very little writing I do anymore. The dictionary.

Simple. Classic. Unexpected. This would seem to be the place to go AFTER you've begun to write. Quite the contrary. I have discovered that by thinking of a word, I have immediately researched its exact definition and then based a short story, poem, or piece on the actual word or one of its many meanings. This is an especially useful technique for all genres of writing, as it can be implemented in unlimited areas. So, keep this idea in mind if you happen to be looking for a new way to get those writing wheels turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment